Medical Detoxification Programs
Hazelden is proud to offer outpatient medical detoxification as an affordable service with significant accessibility to our patients. We routinely perform Opiate (heroin or pain pill) detoxification and Alcohol or Tranquilizer(benzodiazepine) detoxification in the outpatient setting. On a case-by-case basis poly-substance dependence detoxification can be safely performed as well. After an initial 1-hour visit with a physician the appropriate detoxification and treatment plan are developed with the involvement of patient, physician, medical assisting staff, and often family or friends.
We are Oregon State Department of Human Services certified to provide this innovative and unique care. Unlike many treatment programs which discharge their patients back to their primary care doctors after 30 days, our physicians work with our patients as primary addiction, psychiatry and pain management providers. We establish relationships over months to years and follow our patients as Primary Recovery Physicians. We understand that change can take time.
Compared to inpatient detoxification with long waits for a detoxification bed, and often a cost of ten times higher, our services are available when our patients are ready to take action. Our current fee-for-service practice ensures patient “buy-in” to the detoxification experience. Most patients who choose to apply to their insurance provider for retroactive payment receive between 30%-90% reimbursement.
What do you receive with an in-office detoxification experience?
- A private detoxification room for day-stay with recliner and, space for a support person or family. Expect 8-10 hours in office the first day, with several 1 hour check-in visits over the subsequent week.
- Continuous evaluation by a medical assistant and support both in-office and 24/7 phone communication with M.A./M.D.
- 1 hour evaluation consultation with M.D. or Nurse Practitioner (seen within 1 week by M.D. for 30 min follow-up if evaluated by our Nurse Practitioner)
- 2.5 hours of one-on-one counseling by a Masters Level Chemical dependency counselor over two weeks
- Attendance at our Wed. evening lecture series on chemical dependency topics of importance for the patient and family who wish to attend.
It is important to remember that detoxification from a substance of dependence and addiction is the first step in the recovery process.
Detoxification without some form of treatment, meaning individual, group or community based recovery participation is considered incomplete.
Outatients who engage in detoxification only have a very small chance of being clean and sober in 12 months. Much medical literature exists to support this statement.
Based on current medical literature patients who engage in detoxification AND a 12 week outpatient treatment program have a far greater chance of being clean and sober in 12 months.
We provide outstanding outpatient treatment services and work closely to ensure that patients who desire treatment along with their detoxification are referred to the program with the best fit. Often the primary factor is cost and insurance benefit, we maintain close relationships with many outpatient and community based treatment programs in this region and encourage our patients to explore their insurance benefit to the fullest.
Not all patients are ready or have the resources to pursue treatment beyond their detoxification experience. Some patients enter detoxification without the readiness to stop using their drug of choice. We maintain an outstanding safety record by upholding the following expectations during detoxification and subsequent treatment.
- Mandatory urine drug screening
- Mandatory monthly follow-up with an M.D. for continuation of Suboxone treatment and dosage tapering. Follow-up visits are approximately 30 min.
- Referral to Inpatient Treatment services if our care team collectively believes that outpatient treatment is not, or has become an unsafe option for our patient.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.